Thursday, August 14, 2008

Self created long weekend

Since I’m playing hooky tomorrow it almost seems as if the weekend is starting this evening. I’m headed down to visit daughter # 2 in the city and run some errands. Although I’m not sure it’d qualify as time off in any other work setting as I’m taking the cell phone with me and covering for two other team members but time away from the office is away.

Speaking of cell phones…the shore captain arrived home for supper (covered in grease and fish slime – a very attractive picture I present eh?) and produced out of his pocket a cell phone with a cracked screen. This injury it apparently suffered simply by residing in the pocket of his coveralls while he worked in the engine room of one of the boats. Nothing visible except the backlit-shattered pattern however he pointed out he could make calls and receive them. Mind you, after saying “you’re not serious?” and “I can’t believe it” when being shown the cell, the baby daughter advised he’d better be careful that he dialed the correct number now. It will likely be cheaper to buy a new phone than replace the screen – they’re pricey I’m told.

I’ve been working on getting some photos dropped into the PowerPoint presentations and it’s a good feeling to know that I’m not working on a deadline of days from now as it was last time. Even though there are more presentations this time I have more of an idea of how things are set up cruise-wise and of course more familiarity and connections for the photos. Mind you, my history can use some refreshing from when I was daydreaming in high school and updating to more current knowledge so I’m learning lots myself. So it’s all good. Except for the fact that we’re still waiting for high speed internet here at the house and even worse, high speed was connected at the fish plant a month or so ago which is in a tiny community at the end of a point of land. Arggh.

Thinking of the water, I’m including a photo of a yacht, which headed up the harbour yesterday to spend the night in our sheltered inlet. Here she is making her way past the house. Now this is definitely the way to approach retirement.

I’ve given up on the thought of baking a peach dessert as I picked up a basket of nice ripe ones and if I’m going to make the early morning target I’ve set for myself I’d best get these bones to bed.