Sunday, August 24, 2008

Island Hopping

When I was asking the western daughter if she’d been checking out the blog with her new laptop she commented that I hadn’t updated it since announcing her luck so I thought I’d better get my act together. She was also telling me that she’d been out to a western bar called (appropriately enough) Billy Bob’s and had a enjoyed herself as there had been two step dance lessons, lots of 10 gallon hats and just a generally good time. Apparently there is another venue for displaced easterners, which plays that sort of music so that’s next on her list for checking out.
This has been a productive week here on the creative front, if not otherwise. I made contact with a leader of the writing group I do my best to frequent and hinted broadly about Maritime photos as I knew she’d done some work for Frommers or Fodors or one of those travel books for the Maritimes. She had a few that she offered (after saying she’d had a bunch of her photos accepted for the Michelin publication) on CD and some great contacts in tourism – both for the upcoming cruise and later local itineraries. So I’ve busily downloaded a number of photos and am making contacts for some others. The Cape Breton and NS presentations are pretty well along but the others will require more effort.

I’ve been playing on the computer a bit as I got a newer version of Family Tree Maker from a friend and discovered that the supposed glitch with the dates which I was so frustrated with while doing research at the museum is actually due to the switch from different types of calendars previous to 1752 so the double date is to cover both types of date recording. But at least now I have the more recent version and am not accusing the computer of having a bug.

The animals were restless the other p.m. as there was a boat, which made its way up the harbour in the dark, and then back out. The shore captain identified it as a Coast Guard vessel as “it had wet exhaust and the search light out over top of the water” but wasn’t sure who their search would be for – someone hauling ‘summer gear’ aka out of season lobster traps, scallop draggers which are supposed to be fishing outside of the headlands or perhaps drug smugglers as they target all of the above. The cats peered into the darkness off the veranda listening to the rumble of the retreating engine and the wake crashing on the shore while the dog paced restlessly due to the unexpected ocean visitor at that time of night. Never did figure out what the intrusion on our peaceful existence was after.

Yesterday we had an excursion over to the island in the harbour, which we border on. The shore captain was forced to forfeit as he had boats going and coming and only a few hour window in between. So he delegated the only son to tour captain duties and we headed over in the mossing punt. It was really quite well appointed as we took lawn chairs for the deck and had gourmet lunch by the time we all shared the watermelon, Chilean merlot and pastrami sandwiches. Our summer neighbours on either side, our son and his girlfriend and me all enjoyed a great day, the weather made it one of the nicer days this summer and I have the sunburn to prove it on my face and neck. We explored the island and checked out the lighthouse, abandoned houses and fields - it’s like being in a time warp. It’s starting to get overgrown so we couldn’t make our way into the cemetery and I think the sheep were pleased when we finally left them in peace. Think I have convinced our summer neighbours that it’s fun to camp over there. We had taken the kids over when they were young and they had a ball - it’s a world apart just a few minutes away.

A loyal blog reader has contributed the list for the local library book club, as I no longer have a work life, which allows for flextime to attend a book club at noon. However, I do like to keep up and occasionally read what’s on the list – you will note I have managed one of the listing:

Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls - don't start unless don't plan to get anything else done
Three Day Road, Joseph Boyden
Lament for an Ocean, Michael Harris
A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini
Three Cups of Tea, Greg Mortenson

Oh to be retired. Speaking of which we had the discussion on our island trek as to what was meant by retired as I frequently refer to it and in fact this blog wouldn’t have a name if not for retirement dreaming. Retirement will mean NOT doing what I’m doing now, which is more than full time. If I work a few shifts in long-term care can I say I’m semi-retired? I should think so, as that’s the likely reality until REAL retirement becomes an option. When I hosted a lunch for our Class of 76 get together last spring, one of my classmates said “oh, you’ll be working when you’re 75” as they all thought I’d still be going strong. I sure hope I’m going strong but not necessarily in gainful employment!

Speaking of which, I must get myself somewhat together for tomorrow as it’s another work week and one in which I’m covering for someone (else’s) vacation so no playing hooky. Add to this the final week for the baby daughter who is returning to an out of province university next Sunday, working, visiting with the boyfriend and has made no attempt at packing or putting the bedroom back into human habitation. This could be a busy (busier) week! I leave you with the thought of the day:

Ideas are enormously powerful and surprisingly scarce. John Polanyi