Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A little more good news

Well another day and another good news announcement. Things are just on a roll lately. Today’s phone call from daughter # 2 brought the news that her main man had landed the job he was looking for at HRM as a planning technician. Our future son-in-law gets to use the degree he completed in April and earn a great salary at the same time. This is more significant as he’s a very socially shy guy and has had to work on his interview skills to accomplish this. He’s pretty used to us now after six years but I well remember how originally when he started coming to our place, he was terrified to be spoken to in case he had to answer someone. And of course they’ll be lucky to have him as he’s a smart boy, good worker and very loyal. The tickled pink couple were heading out for supper when I called to congratulate.

A further message from baby daughter elaborated that the nursing clinical “is this summer who-hoo” but no more details than that. So when, for how long, who else is going with her to Sweden etc. remains a mystery.

The weather is settling a bit this evening and lobstering and fishing are in the plans for the a.m. with the Captain moaning that it is still rough and he will have to “chase pots for miles tomorrow” and the prodigal son delighted to be heading out fishing as he has eye on a new truck. Of course the auto sales outlet is so desperate to move a vehicle that they actually allowed him to drive around in the half ton on Monday for the afternoon. That is clearly desperation personified.

Today’s noon hour email advised me of my new travel points balance which got me dreaming, then I found a message of a two day seat sale to Buenos Aires for only $255 each way with travel from now to April. The kicker was that add on costs were more than the base costs of the tickets bringing the total to $930. This however, is still an awesome price, for someone with free money that is.

Speaking of travel, the travel agent we use has a new website so I’ll post the url here for you to check out:
http://www.tpiworldwide.com/JenniferAtwoodTPI/
Jennifer is very good about matching others prices and searching for the lowest fares. Over the years she’s gotten us some good deals. And there are good links for travel advisories etc. if you poke around.

In case you are only pretending to travel to a warmer place I’m including a recipe for salsa dip, which I modified a bit from the Kraft posting – it’s yummy:

Salsa Creamy Dip
½ cup miracle whip
1 cup sour cream
1 cup salsa
½ cup grated parmesan
Mix together, chill and serve with tostitos

The workday otherwise was rather dreary as I was covering for two other team members, the place was full to the seams and just hopping. I didn’t blame who ever it was that had been job searching when the career postings for another health authority popped up on the monitor screen. The Director of Care at the attached nursing home told me that recruiters have advised her it’s unusual to have a potential employee agree to a two year sign on bonus contract, now they’re signing for one year and often for as high as $10,000. That is very close to what an RN earned annually in NS the year I graduated. Back in the day…I thought I was filthy rich to earn $14,000 per year by going north.

I consoled myself after work by stopping at Frenchy’s on the way home where I picked up a lovely pair of (previously) very expensive dress slacks, which alone would’ve made the trip worthwhile. I dropped off the article one of my summer neighbours had sent quite a while ago about Frenchy’s and I’ve been meaning to take it in, the ladies were really interested and took it out back for them to read. As well I found a sweatshirt, great Santa hat, which the Captain is planning to wear lobstering tomorrow (got to have your small pleasures) to show his buddies, three new zippers for now that I’ve remembered how to sew, and a great Boston Red Sox t-shirt for the man that was a complete hit. He had even made supper by the time I got home – the secret apparently is to wait long enough it seems.