Sunday, November 23, 2008

Snow all weekend

Well I did not get to the digital camera workshop as the major snowstorm we had Friday night prevented travel (well actually I got stuck in the driveway first thing) and it has snowed off and on all weekend resulting in about 30 cm in our area. Walking the dog has meant snowsuit, lined boots, mittens and scarf and the dog has to chew the snow balls from between her webbed toes when we get home. The forecast is for milder temperatures with rain this week so the winter wonderland will likely be short lived. And I have my name on the waiting list to do the camera workshop next weekend. So I have restrained myself from searching last minute cruise speaker requests.

I managed to get some baking done (brown bread, peanut butter cookies, lemon pie, cherry kuchen most of which are now gone) due to my being grounded so that pleased the men going to set lobster traps in the a.m. The forecast according to the shore captain (soon to be wheelhouse captain) is "ok for tomorrow and fairly good early on Tuesday, snotty after that" I am resisting the temptation to translate that into knots of wind as it will do me no good to worry. The prodigal son who is going to assist with lobstering (as the weather forecast doesn't allow for a fishing trip) even went to bed at 8:30 p.m. so as to be rested up.

Due to mechanical problems, Saturday was spent installing two new batteries in the lobster boat - these require two men and a boy (literally) to lift them into the engine room - and resulted in the boy backing into a light bulb and singeing his hair, skinning most of his knuckles in the cramped quarters. After all this the decision was that the starter wasn't functioning. After convincing a diesel mechanic to make a wharf call and install a new one, things are just fine, except for the $1200 bill of course.

This weekend I managed to get a bit of sewing (almost forgot how) and scrapping done as well as reading some in Cruise Ship Confidential which is like the Nanny Diaries, Kitchen Confidential that sort of a read. What a hoot! Haven't caught up on correspondence, housework even though I had the best of intentions. And what do you know? It's time to go back to work in the morning so I guess it won't be happening this weekend either.