Monday, July 2, 2007

At least I didn't have to go to work today

It was so nice to have the three day weekend and especially since the weather was wonderful. After getting caught up on the laundry, catching a few rays and finishing my book there was still time to do some baking so cherry pie and strawberry shortcake were on the menu. Tomorrow is Tuesday so only four days left to work and scrap booking in the evening. Gives me courage to deal with issues on the home front.

The prodigal son returned from the city where a group took in the concert on Citadel Hill for Canada Day but not in enough time to go fishing today as planned. This has made him as popular in this household as ants at a picnic. The Captain drove 45 minutes, then waited for hours and finally found someone else to go in his place late this afternoon. Wouldn’t a phone call have been the responsible, adult action if you were not going to make it back in time for work? If that boy makes it to age 20 without me choking him, it will be a genuine miracle.

In checking with daughter # 2 in the city (I had been doing the missing person search for her brother) she tells me that the sub letter from New Zealand in their apartment was talking to a nurse and thinks he has mumps. Further questioning re: blood tests, periods of communicability etc. do not clear up the confusion but add to it. The condensed version is that he has swollen glands, had serology, was told to quarantine himself and…it’s been long enough now that it’s too late to worry about if they’ve been exposed. When I attempt to convey my concern about quarantine, loss of work etc. she blandly states “I don’t think it’s mumps anyway and I’m sure we won’t get it”. Now what scientific evidence this is based on, I’m not sure as mumps is extremely contagious, they are all contacts and only one of them has had the second immunization. There will be more of a reaction if they all have to remain home without income for two weeks I’m sure. The mumps outbreak is at about 400 cases now and more expected over the summer.

Making travel plans for my navigator and I as daughter # 3 starts her summer schedule at the Manor tomorrow, which helps on her gas bill. It also gives me the need to out of the office on time - not that I mind that for summer hours.