Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Back to the salt mines

Well getting back into the swing of things after a four day weekend was…excruciating but not unexpectedly so. Chaotic is the descriptor I’m thinking of. And to top it all off, the week I’ve chosen for vacation is the only time the PowerPoint course is being given in July (of course) so my cruise presentation preparation will have to wait until August. I had forgotten how nice it was to have a daughter drop in from the adjoining facility to ‘do lunch’ with me. It actually means I stop for lunch instead of eating at the computer so today we headed out to the picnic table. And when the small hand is on 4 p.m. I’d better be ready to head out the door if I know what’s good for me when the co-pilot arrives to head home. These are much better work-life balance approaches.

Tonight we decided to extend our togetherness and head out to scrap booking for the evening, leaving the man of the house to tend the bread in the bread machine - well, it is for his lunch after all. We brought along a fellow scrapper as a referee / critic and had a great time. I managed to put together two pages in my home construction album, my friend was lost in the 70s and daughter # 3 worked variously on her prom, last summer’s sister’s head shaving for cancer and cat assisted scrap booking pages. The bonus is being able to pick up groceries afterwards at Sobeys.

I’m flying solo tomorrow as daughter # 3 is moonlighting as a sandwich artist after her day job. She was enjoying her first day back into the regular routine while being groomed for personal care activities (feeding residents) as she is entering nursing school in the fall. There are plans for a summer job next year doing personal care which will be a great experience, as well as double minimum wage. And I think more enjoyable for her than the recreation which although important is not nursing.

How has the day slipped away? I was going to head to bed early tonight - a promise I make regularly to myself and leave unfulfilled. Sleep always seems to be the optional ingredient.