Saturday, July 7, 2007

Retirement by perpetual travel

Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward. - Soren Kierkegaard

Retirement by perpetual travel - where would your home base be? Rent or own / follow the seasons to South America / Europe. I decided, while perusing the online travel site, that retirement by perpetual travel is a concept I can relate to. There was a notation that some folks felt better having a home base but no requirement that this home base be in North America and that the usual practice is to remain 3,4 or 6 months in one location before moving on. Sounds good to me. We can visit the kids or they can visit us.

Actually, I’m just glad to finally have enrolled in the Crown & Anchor Society for Royal Caribbean Cruise lines. There’s been a technical glitch and so after three months I’ve finally made it official and am now visualizing myself as a frequent floater. Memo to self, must get going on those speaking presentations.

The most immediate travel planning being done in this house is camping in Kedge National Park. Here have a look for yourself:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ns/kejimkujik/index_e.asp

I made reservations online yesterday for July 20 and 21 so we’ll start with the weekend and see how the weather holds out. The plan is for a family camp on the weekend and the old guy and myself will stay on for a few more days (weather dependent) while the offspring go back to work. I’ve taken that week off so there’ll be no rush. Will give me time to get ready for the pig roast on July 29th should Sobey’s make good on their promise of two pigs legs for that date. This will have to serve as the plan B as we usually roast a whole animal but due to pork industry turmoil this is not possible this year and we aren't ready to give up on the concept of the fiesta..

Yesterday our Friday night in house date was the rental of the movie The Last King of Scotland. It’s the film about Uganda and the Scottish Dr. who gets involved with Edi Amin. Forrest Whittaker sure deserved all the nominations/awards he earned. It was a somewhat disturbing (not as violent as I feared) but believable tale and apparently based on a true story which are the best kind of yarns. My only regret was that I hadn’t seen it on the big screen as the cinematography with the African landscapes was incredible. I give it more than two thumbs up - rent it!

Today just after lunch as I was in the kitchen, daughter # 3 yelled for me to come to the mud room and see the large deer, owning the yard. She slowly made her way across the driveway, wandered through the field and finally very slowly disappeared into the trees. She was there at least 10 minutes and very relaxed as the dog was having a siesta in her house. Guess she was used to being here before we moved over so thinks we’re the squatters. I didn’t even think to grab the camera to document it for you.