Monday, July 23, 2007

Enjoying vacation?

If today was any indication then vacation is highly over rated. I started out this a.m. to teach the second day of the first aid course. Headed in early to sort out the details of the microbial issues and then get started whipping the students into shape - tough job when they were no more morning people than me. A short break in the a.m. and rush up to the office I'm supposedly on vacation from, make some phone calls and head back down to the course. Lunch break is more detective work while eating my lunch in front of the computer (felt just like a regular work day) and then...just when I getting started on the afternoon session in the course I run out to the front desk to make change for one of the students and the ward clerk mentions the M word - yes MUMPS. So I am off and running to the ER to sort out the contacts there. Arrgghhh. There goes the afternoon break as I make my second call to the district facility. I was heartily pleased to leave that place this afternoon after finishing the course.

I call home to find that the landscape designer says he needs to eat by 6 p.m. "what were you having for supper he says?" so I look at my watch and offer to pick up something at the Deli. Memo to self, do not fall for this again for three reasons 1) he complained about what I picked up as the salad was and I quote "not fit to eat" although I noted he did 2) he didn't have to make anything although he was the one at home 3) I had to divert to pick it up this expensive alternative. I'm thinking he won't live to make it to retirement with behavior like this. I had fallen for the "we need to eat by 6 because of Dale" thinking it refers to a local fisherman headed in to the wharf but....no, he is referring to a local guy who has a small 'digger' to make holes for the BBQ deck he is building next to the house who is scheduled to be here this p.m. It turns out he had said "between 6 and 6:30 and it was at least half past before he appeared, meaning there was lots of time to make a decent meal. Mister had connected with the garden center and found someone in who can operate the front end loader so we are what you could call 'almost mulched' as he had unloaded the stuff into the flower beds out front.

In order to distract the dog from the heavy equipment we head out for our walk. The blueberries are getting ripe now, I will be making some trips to bushes this week while I'm off for sure. I pick some berries and offer them to the dog, she's as pleased as I am with the yummy treat. She's a lot more indiscriminate in her harvesting though as she clamps onto a large bunch of berries and strips them all, white, blue and leaves into her mouth so I try not to let her self serve. One good thing about the blueberries ripening is that it signals the end of the tick season. Usually because warmer weather has come although this year that hasn't happened yet, it has made the blueberries very large and juicy though.

I kind of feel like I'm beginning my vacation tomorrow even though it is day 4 of 10 off. And there is a scrapbooking class tomorrow evening which I've already served notice that I WILL be attending. If retirement is like an extended vacation, I don't think I can handle the pace, I'm not ready for it yet.