Thursday, July 12, 2007

Friday here we come

Yes tomorrow is Friday and I’m so grateful for that fact I don’t even care if it’s Friday the 13th. After driving a barely awake offspring with me to her adjoining job and ambling up to my office I began to attack my ‘to do’ list.

First call to the technology folks who were doing a ‘drop’ somewhere in our facility. This calls for supervision by infection control if they’re working near patient care areas and is decided by where, what and how they are doing the work. A call to the IT team leader did not clear the confusion as she stated they were doing something, somewhere in the nursing station and using the thing they usually use and had left already. Oh, that clears it up then. Called the Ward Clerk (who really runs the place) and she didn’t know it was happening, the Nurse Mgr who is replacing the vacationing manager called me to see what was the plan, and when I called Maintenance he was pleased I’d told him as it was the first he’d heard. They were all in agreement I could deal with it. Not a word all morning until…as I was attempting to get out the door to see the dentist as the bridge I had re-glued last month (yes this is déjà vu) is unanchored again…a call saying there were two guys from the cable running company wanting to install wire. We have a long chat and they are ‘with the program’ apparently they are alone in that place as they manage to find out what they’re supposed to be doing. Only problem - it’s through the middle of the construction zone so they have to wait until the air quality test is cleared before they can enter. I asked one of the staff if there were two guys hanging out of the ceiling and she says “no but there are nurses hanging off of stuff” I feel like I live/work in the twilight zone.

In the middle of the afternoon I call the meat manager and he is “still working on it” to get two pig legs for a pig roast on the 29th. I refuse to give up hope yet.

At one point when I was attempting to exit the temporary staff room (previously storage closet) to go home and I could NOT walk around the detour one more time…the door handle came off in my hand. I had the sensation of being in the back of a police cruiser without door handles or those knob covers for childproofing. I panicked (the claustrophobia kicked right in) and yelled but finally managed to get the knob back on and exit, however there were two little older ladies sitting in the lounge with very strange looks on their faces as I think they felt the aliens had dropped me off.

After almost an hour of errands, most of which weren’t mine, post work which accounts for the time I spent walking up and down the parking lot at the local mall dragging at least 30 lb of groceries. Memo to self do not buy jumbo bag of baby carrots, jar of jam, watermelon and whole cut up chicken then attempt to find offspring with keys to car for 20 minutes. Arrgh.

Rented movies on the way home and picked up Blood Diamonds as the landscape designer had expressed a desire to watch this. A very well done but extremely violent film. One of those you watch but it’s really disturbing and you wonder why.

Time to hit the hay as it’s that Friday I’ve been talking about here already.