Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Only two more sleeps until vacation starts

Honeysuckle
Now these aren't my honeysuckle but...they could be. When I was checking on the old house tonight the honeysuckle wrapped around the tree in the front yard was completely in bloom and the smell...heavenly. Took me back to days on the corner by the causeway in Barrington on warm summer nights when a motley crowd would sleep out (sleep was optional actually) in a beat up canvas tent in the back yard. When I think back to no screens, the strong smell of the worn canvas, air mattresses that went flat (hopefully not before you got to settled) lumpy, heavy sleeping bags without zippers, some kind of food which invariably got stuck in your hair and attracted insects and usually your head pointed downhill - why do I remember it as so wonderful? Those were much simpler times, that's why. We knew everything and solved all the problems of the world in those late night talks.

Life is so much more complicated now it seems. We have cancelled the reservation for Kedjimkujik National Park (and you can see by this link that it would have been fun:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ns/kejimkujik/index_E.asp

on Friday and Saturday due to 1) the weather forecast - calls for periods of rain both days 2) daughter # 3 who was the main reason for planning the family camping hasn't made an effort to attend 3) the shore captain will have three boats landing that day so would have had to make major arrangements. So had to notify the other two daughters and regroup. The main point is that I am off for 10 days beginning in two days!

The highlight of my work day was receiving a parcel which included books I'd ordered for the office and one of them was Sanford's guide - this is a standard reference for tropical medicine / infectious diseases so it caused a major daydream of an overseas mission. You know I've decided that when something is less than five years away that it's acceptable to consider it as occuring shortly - this is my new approach. Excuse me I'm off to study microbes.