Sunday, July 22, 2007

Vacation is hard work

Well, this is only the first weekend of my vacation but I have to say that all this time off 'work' is hard work. Saturday (which was a day of monsoons here) would not have been much fun in a tent, so that eased the pain of not camping. I taught the first day of first aid to three future health care workers who require the course to get into their program at Dalhousie and will finish up the second day on Monday. Since I store my teaching equipment at work I decided to do the course there meaning I didn't have to drag it anywhere.

This will be convenient tomorrow when I have to deal with a crisis of a microbiological type at work. Now since I am supposedly on vacation (but answered my phone this afternoon) I will have to keep track of my time spent doing detective work and attempt to take it somewhere else.It's tough to get time off without physically leaving.

Today I spent doing a bit of manual labour and my arms and shoulders are showing it. I shoveled two wheelbarrows full of crushed stone into the developing pot holes in the driveway. Then I decided to pull some weeds at the 'old house' until the moose flies drove me off. Somehow, some way we are going to get a truck load of mulch for the flowerbeds out in front of the house this week so I was trying to get into the swing.

The prodigal son appeared at suppertime to take a shower after baiting trawl and was fed as we were BBQing and then headed off. Always the question of the day - how many for supper? Could be just us two or...a crowd. Either is fine but it does keep meal planning interesting.

The pig roaster is starting to make noises about the long range weather prediction of rain for Sunday. Now with our changeable weather it would seem bizarre to attempt to forecast it past the next 15 minutes. He has had firm instructions not to think negatively about the environmental conditions as we're commited to the process now.