Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Imagine

Imagine if you were sleeping after being up all night and all of a sudden found yourself transported inside a strange structure and then...loud screaming! This is what happened today to an unsuspecting brown bat. I had left the clothes out on the line overnight - what else do people who work days do? This afternoon I brought one basketful of clothes in and set it on my bed, I was just getting ready to dump the contents onto the bed and head out for another load when I noticed something brown on top of the clothes. At first I thought 'a mouse - how did it get in the basket?' and then I saw those wings and it came to me....
...a bat!!! An ear piercing scream followed (which likely confused the bat's sonar) and I summoned the perplexed looking carpenter (wondering what was going on) from his deck work to do bat removal. He covered, then carried the bat out in the basket and it took off immediately across the yard to a nearby tree - likely to warn the other bats. We found one small turd on top of the basket which I'm sure I scared out of it with the screaming. Good thing the cats were napping or there could have been tragic bat consequences. I am thrilled that we didn't wake to find a bat in the bedroom and unsure if we'd been bitten have to report it to Public Health because the investigation requires you disclose an accurate weight as the rabies immune globulin is a per kg. dose. Talk about tragic consequences.

After my nerves settled, I managed to get some deck staining done before the weather changed and it's really coming together. Should be completed no problem for the 26th - as usual the carpenter/life partner is vowing it will be done this weekend. We'll see. At any rate it will be a nice area to have a BBQ in whenever it's finished.

The bat almost overshadowed all my positive vibes from doing the PowerPoint training this morning. I was most honored to be the only participant so was tutored and felt extra special. The computer in the training lab was being cranky (computers often act that way for me) but otherwise it was great. I learrned a lot of shortcuts, extra tips and good design ideas. I will definitely be playing with that program. Now I'm ready to tackle my cruise speaking presentations. Daughter # 2 suggested that I add fishing schooners to my list of topics (excellent idea my dear) and I just need at least one more subject. The research is the fun part.

Must head to bed as tomorrow is already shaping up to be a humdinger and it's 10 hrs. away. Mind you, it is pay day so it has that to recommend it.