Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Three more days until vacation

Today at work was sandwiched between pre and post employment chores. I headed up early to run errands so picked up four plastic chairs for the table/umbrella set and gyproc holders for screws to mount the washboard scored at the auction, a new cutting blade for the scrapbooking trimmer, and a package of recordable CDs. Work itself was bearable (just) and I left early. The reverse trip was grocery orientated as baby daughter had ordered up supper and since she only has a few of those left, I obliged.

Arriving home I began my staining duties. Mercifully the deck is almost finished with only stairs and an enclosure around the tree which has been left to grow up through. The thinking is that we may be able to have a round table with seats (as in Tom and Betty and Flip on Cherry Street) someday. I am determined to NOT get into a post retirement routine of working with the man I am married to. I told him today I don't need a) someone to supervise /instruct me b) someone to watch me c) I don't need to watch someone when they take over from me as I work. If any of these situations occur I can find plenty of other tasks to do. He is such a particular control freak he would make a good surgeon (except for being incredibly squeamish) as he fussed over every little spot. When he was checking out the design from the house later he called me in to the bathroom to show me how the planks on the deck line up so my suggestion is that should you ever find yourself at our house, please make your way to the bathroom and gaze upon the deck. When I told him he'd done a good job he says "it's almost a work of art". When I reminded him that I'd predicted the deck would be finished for the BBQ (at the time of my prophecy it was almost a month away) and he says "well I didn't expect so many interruptions" I told him that I wasn't as concerned that he got interrupted as I'd expected that but that he was surprised by it. He did finally admit I was right in my timing of predictions.

I couldn't find Stanley who is baby daughter's kitten when I came home this afternoon. I tried cat treats (which the other two felines loved) and searching. I accused the deck carpenter of losing him etc. Finally I noticed the cat carrier wasn't here oh...Stanley has gone to the Manor to entertain the residents. As his owner said "it's great that he's slow and good natured as he visits everyone and they love him" So he had a fine afternoon being the center of attention.

I noticed the dog finally had a new clip and piece of rope on her run today. The carpenter tells me that one of our summer neighbours brought her back (again) yesterday as she'd headed over to see their canines. This is three escapes in less than two weeks and twice after I'd firmly advised him to change the clip. This clip is as big as her ear, no more field trips for her for a bit.

The last flurry of activities is ongoing here with cleaning / packing / errands by baby daughter and preparing for daughter # 2 to visit for a few days then head out. Not even time to finish my library book and a new one I ordered from Abebooks - wonderful site for used/rare books if you haven't tried them you should check them out. The package which arrived today held The Great Influenza by John M. Barry which was printed in 2004 it's about the flu of 1918 and looks riveting but...it will just have to wait a bit, not as far as retirement but at least until I get into my official time off - only three more sleeps till I start vacation.