Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Two down and one to go

Today was another send off, this time of the summer houseguest and his hamsters at noontime. And yes baby daughter did make a reasonable enough recovery to accompany himself to the city as there wasn't much swelling this time with only one molar assaulted. There have been two urgent phone calls already this evening for what would appear to be rather important materials - his apartment keys and substantial amount of his clothes from the dryer. This speaks to the frantic nature of the departure does it not? I suggested having keys cut at a hardware store and will locate a university bound friend to send along the clothes.

I spent a bit of time on the deck today reading The Great Influenza by John M. Barry it's a really good read about the early days of microbiology, medical schools, research, infectious diseases, vaccines etc. even before you get to the flu stuff. For a few hours I almost felt like I was on vacation.

I passed the evening playing with my Family Tree Maker software which I hadn't installed until now on the laptop. This is one of those programs where you look up and several hours have passed without your realizing it. I had backed up my family tree information and it's nice to have it accessible in digital format again.

This evening is wondefully quiet (snoring from the life partner and the cats are the only distractions) and tomorrow won't become exciting until the evening when the last student to be organized and dispatched is home from the longest farewell and hopefully focused on getting herself together for Saturday's move. I may begin the transition to the TV room as the dust clears.