Sunday, August 19, 2007

Weekend weather excitement

The weekend wrap up from all the excitement before I have to head back to the salt mines:

I was up early and off to the auction on Saturday morning – better than doing housework or arguing with teenagers. The weather was predicted as showers in the morning and clearing well….talk about a weather bomb. Things started off fine with viewing, making a wish list, then settling into my folding chair as the action started. The good thing about an auction in Clyde River is that the Busy Bees were holding down the canteen duties so you know you’re going to have a good lunch and they didn’t disappoint – sausage with diet root beer and a yummy cinnamon bun for dessert. I managed to score a few boxes of goodies (or junk depending on who is describing the find) a glass washboard, a large tote for camping gear, a washstand for pitcher and bowl and a basket. It’s always a good chance to visit with the locals anyway. Then the rain started (thank goodness for the tent enclosure they had up) followed by thunder and lightening. When a bolt hit the air above the microphone headset of the auctioneer and blew out the light bulb on the porch a recess was called. I had already decided to head on home with my loot but I had to wait for a break in the weather. The delay extended as the rain poured down then the temperature dropped and the wind came up like a twister. When the local fire departments began responding to a lightening strike across the river I decided I’d had enough for one outing. I loaned my tarps to a colleague from work who needed to get a sofa and chairs transported, managed to pay for and locate all of my soggy purchases and head on home.

As I was dragging my goodies into the house I noticed out the window that one of our summer neighbours boat was capsized in the water so I phoned. No answer, they were still at the auction. Called the other summer neighbour, she says that her boat broke off the mooring and came ashore, cracking the bottom and she’s pulled it up on the shore. So we head over attempt to rescue the capsized boat – no luck, as the ropes are full of seaweed. As I pull into the driveway I notice that the man of the house has arrived home so we relate the marine disasters and all three of us head back to first put the cracked boat up on the lawn at neighbour # 1 then over to the capsized boat where the shore captain waded in almost to his neck to disentangle the boat and we pulled it in to shore. Somehow it had collected water inside the hull and the lining and it weighed if not a ton, at least close to that. We just made it to the house as it started to rain again (wouldn’t want to get wet ha ha) and it sure felt good to light the propane fireplace and veg out.

Today was spent doing laundry – first fine weather day in several and …on the deck and if you envision lying out on a lounge chair reading a novel not…it meant cleaning up all the wood scraps, sweeping and vacuuming the sawdust and painting the exposed surfaces of the edges. Mercifully I ran out of stain and so was able to move on to other household chores. Tonight we had a visit from daughter # 1 for supper followed by scrapbooking with her sister.

Hamsters? They’re still surviving although I’m not sure I’d wager how long as two of the felines have discovered their presence and wait patiently outside the bedroom door for someone to forget and leave it open for them to slip in. So now I am forced to think about going back to work as I’m out of other diversions.