Thursday, August 9, 2007

Retirement from what?

Thinking about retirement (and this is a favorite pastime of mine) means that I have to consider what I would retire from. Meaning would I just retire from the paid work I have or would I be able to jettison some of the other job descriptions? For example my domestic duties…today I worked my 7.5 hr shift at my day job but beginning my ‘second shift’ I stopped at the grocery store then headed home to a) wash and hang out three loads of laundry b) bake brown bread c) make supper d) paint two hours on the deck the in-house carpenter is constructing d) unload and reload the dishwasher e) take the dog for a walk. This list doesn’t include any interaction with offspring (and their attendants) the care plan meeting I attended at the nursing home for my mother (draining) or other ‘duties as assigned’ as the collective agreement would state.

When I asked one of the Care Coordinators at work if an elderly lady I needed to call was up early she said “no, she told me any time after 0930 hrs would be good for a bath visit“. To which I agreed as I told the Care Coordinator that when I am an old lady with blue hair I am NOT getting up before 9 a.m. and no one had better try and make me! This early morning stuff is something I have to do at present as gainfully employed but it is not my natural biorhythms.

Your quote for the day was one I found in a magazine this morning at work “Today I wish for you a day of ordinary miracles” Difficult to top that eh? And much more uplifting than this link:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070809/koddities/odd_redneck_games

about ‘Texas Redneck Games’ which include the ugly "butt-crack contest" amongst other topics. Makes one feel positively refined in comparison.

I am working through my list and this evening I got my publicity photo and bio together to forward to an agent. Have to get myself organized and put together a presentation for my ‘audition’ by September (my self imposed deadline) as that’s only a few weeks away.

As I was researching ‘how to care for your laptop’ today I found this helpful (but not doable in my world) information and I quote.....It is recommended not to use the notebook computer on a carpet or near hairy house hold pets as this can clog the air vents with fibers and hairs. Well there goes my warranty.

Since tomorrow is Friday it seems I have (almost) survived the week. It was dicey at times.