Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Fish and more fish

Well as you can see today was a day the life partner chased boats. Here are two photos the first of the Kylie Ann on it's way into Smithsville Wharf with about 14,000 lbs of groundfish. The other is the Captain and the #1 son getting ready to unload the full hold. It's not often we get photos but I instructed the shore captain to take the camera when I heard the landings were going to be good. This is quite close to capacity for this vessel after the retrofit of this winter, no wind thank goodness. The photos will be good to use in my PowerPoint presentation on the fishery.

This morning started off first thing with a call from baby daughter in Fredericton asking for assistance in finding her student number. No she hadn't taken her student ID with her but now she was attempting to get her ID activated so she could pick up her laptop. She was less than patient with me as I attempted to log into the university site under her instructions - as if it was me who had driven 7 hrs to another province only to forget one of the main things I needed. Finally I located the number and she was off to deal with her crisis on her own. And to think she used to be the organized one.

Today at work I was having difficulty concentrating due to the beautiful weather. Definitely one of those times when you wish you had an outdoor job, or were on vacation, or were retired. I've decided that when I retire I'm going to do more of some things and less of others. As in:

I'm going to do more:
walking
writing
traveling
crafts
reading
puttering

I'm going to do less:
whining
housework
errands for others
busywork
explaining
rushing

I'm off to the district site tomorrow a.m. for PowerPoint training - can't wait. I can feel the presentations getting closer. I'm planning on presenting on lobstering, fishing, NS Duck Tolling Retrievers, Cape Island boatbuilding, and...I just have to think of topics for two more talks. My problem is that it can't be about anything from my work as it's all either too boring or frightening for cruise ship passengers.