Monday, November 19, 2007

Hectic schedule = cold

Since today is Monday and my last update was Wednesday p.m. there may be questions as to my whereabouts. Well, lets see what’s been going on in the past five days.

Thursday was the drive to the city for the infection control conference with a built in allowance for a stop at a Wal-Mart to do a bit of pre holiday shopping. Nice to browse when you’re not exhausted from work and just running in to pick up an essential item. Made it to the hotel by noon and the afternoon sessions were great. I learned from the social marketing presentation that the three topics (in no particular order), which sell in advertising, are…sex, puppies and babies – not necessarily in the same ad. Had supper with a colleague and headed to the wine and cheese, which was part of the conference. We decided if we’d known we could’ve skipped the supper and vacuumed the buffet, as it was extensive. A couple of sponsored drinks by the vendors and then the talk turned to supper (again courtesy of the vendors) and I’m so easily influenced that I allowed myself to be persuaded to go out with the education committee and the sponsors (instead of going to bed as I should have) to a beautiful restaurant / wine bar called Seven. Here check it out for yourself:

www.sevenwinebar.com

In the morning when it was time to roll out of bed for the sessions I regretted my social butterfly status. The topics were great on Friday and one of the presenters was spontaneous enough through a power outage to ask us sit by the fire and have a chat while imagining the photos he’d brought. The drive home was brutal with wind and rain and I was wiped when I arrived at 8 p.m. Nice to take in these events but nice to be home.

Saturday was a day to catch up on domestic chores and then the life partner accompanied me (as my female date was a single mom who had a sick child) to see Ron James at Th’Yarc that was a stop in his Full Tilt tour. Ron was great as usual and I for one could certainly use the laugh. Sunday I woke up feeling rotten with a terrible cold – if I were male it would be terminal I know. We headed back to the city and stopped at the large Paderno sale at the Forum – if you’re ever looking for good discounts you should take this in. Then we were off to see Jesse Cooke at the Rebecca Cohen Arts Center and he was amazing as always. We ate at Mezzas on Quinpool Road, which has the best Lebanese food we’ve ever eaten. Yum, we will go back again. It was another late night.

I most certainly did not want to get up for work this morning but since I wouldn’t be back in the office until Friday, there were some tasks, which couldn’t wait until then. So I dragged my carcass in and managed to last the morning. Stopping at the Registry of Deeds and then the lawyer’s office for last minute property sale tasks I was home by 1 p.m. As the man rigging gear outside the barn said “you really did give it up - you wuzzie” when he found me home early. I think he was concerned that I was desperately ill, as I usually don’t give in.

I crawled up on the couch and in between the telemarketers waking me with phone calls I didn’t answer and the cats and dog all trying to position themselves on me at various times I had a restless nap. The most worrisome part of my cold is that it’s affected my voice and I sound terrible – and my lobster fishing presentation is the day after tomorrow! I’m hitting the honey and tea pretty hard and have imposed voice rest on myself. Am heading shortly to fire out the toxins in the sauna and call it an early evening.

The quote of the day is:
The best portion of a good man’s life is his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love. William Wordsworth