Monday, November 5, 2007

Whale series with jelly beans

Today was one of those days which one of my colleague’s summed up as “I don’t feel like coming to work anymore when I think about it the night before” and then added “I don’t know how to do this job anymore” I explained that I understood these concepts, had for some time and I was aligning my thoughts more with the quote of the day:

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. -- Mae West

The learning experience of the day was when the Occupational Therapist contracted in the ‘chair altercation’ of last weeks fame asked about the background of the dispute and I advised that our workplace put the fun back in dysfunctional. When I asked about the description of the recommended chair he said it was “whale series” so I queried, “you mean as in large marine mammal?” “yes” he replied. I told him I thought this was a hateful name and that although the employee in question wasn’t particularly large a number of her coworkers were. “I know that’s why I don’t tell folks the name but you’re another professional so I thought you could handle it” he explains. Then he says “and tell them you need with jelly beans” so I confessed that I didn’t speak the language this was why we had contracted him and he clarified “that means the arm rests pivot in” Oh of course, you could get that from jelly beans no problem.

Question for self – why didn’t you manage to work in one place and have a decent pension waiting for you in a few years? The $32.50 per month you’ve accrued just isn’t going to cut it. You’re going to run out of patience before you build up any equity. Oh wait, it's too late you already have. Sigh.

Now with apologies to male readers I offer the following poem forwarded by a work colleague (hey it’s better than those ads for penis enlargers or stock investments):

a wonderful poem Audrey Hepburn wrote when asked to share her "beauty tips."
It was read at her funeral years later. For attractive lips , speak words of kindness...
For lovely eyes , seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure , share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair , let a child run his/her fingers through it once a day.

For poise , walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone...
People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed,
and redeemed; never throw out anyone.
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand,
you will find one at the end of each of your arms.
As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands ;
one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others.