Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Of oil tanks and self defence

Today was one of those days where I earned some extra overtime although my idea of fun isn’t staying two hours past my regular workday to argue with physicians about washing their hands. And my regular workday was a real humdinger – never stopped once, ate my lunch in front of the computer. Need have a talk with myself “self, you are engaging in behavior you don’t support in employees you counsel” I think.

All this while I interfaced with my significant other as we attempted to get the old house sold. This is turning out to a pain as…the folks who have put a bid in our house can’t get insurance on the property because…. the oil tank is 12 years not 10 years old. So we will have to install a new tank and lines. This means pumping the oil out, reinstalling a new tank and refilling it, as the buyers want the fuel included, on a new concrete pad with an orange line with filter – whatever the heck that is. Sure sounds expensive and it likely will be over $1000. All this for a setup which is perfectly sound, has given us no trouble, is currently insured for us, and we will never use the new one. So much for accepting less of an offer than we wanted to in the beginning as we’re now netting even less. It will be good if the whole situation is settled, as my anger level is high.

I began the day with a blow out of my under wire bra which poked me in the armpit at 8:20 a.m. and requiring that I do emergency reconstructive surgery on it (repeated x 6 during the day) with adhesive tape. I am suffering the effects (and thus those in contact with me) of a severe case of PMS – stand back. I had an intense discussion with a staff member (described by a colleague as unable to be reasoned with on any topic) resulting in my locking the storage room keys inside the closet in my state of duress. I did a hand hygiene audit where I sat in the hall of the nursing unit observing activity and recording ‘opportunities for hand hygiene’, which severely depressed me. One of the staff asked if I was security (this because we occasionally have elderly men who sit in the hall and act as babysitters er I mean security if we have patients who require watching for danger of elopement or aggression) and I replied “yes I’m looking for out of control nurses” So the general consensus was ‘take your pick’ When two staff members were joking around and one said to the other “do you want to take this outside?” the other said “I’ve worked forensic psyche for over 20 years I can take you down so quickly you won’t know what cut off your oxygen” pointing at the others neck. These skills would have applications to many other areas I thought longingly. Then reconsidered that it’s good I don’t have them, as being incarcerated is not on my list of retirement plans.