Thursday, April 17, 2008

Interview and more

As I’m looking at Friday tomorrow I’m thinking this has been one busy week! I spent three of the workdays on the road so that took care of Monday, Tuesday and today and Wednesday was a the clean sweep of the office storage rooms – very therapeutic. The nights have been disturbed by nocturnal phone calls due to the marine based lifestyle we lead in this household. Captains calling from fishing boats, men getting up at staggered hours to go lobstering, house guests leaving for clinical or classes for a Continuing Care Assistant course and a daughter temporarily here before moving to a city apartment. I am pretty sure I had more sleep with preschoolers in the house.

Today I did have a later morning as the phone interview for cruise ship speaking was scheduled 10:30 – 11:00 and then I headed out for a meeting. The interview went along well but I was momentarily slowed to discover that the push was in the direction of a Maritime Canadian destination speaker as opposed to special interest speaker for more exotic locales. Apparently the schedule is filled for special interest speakers for the year but it is very difficult to place speakers for the New England/Maritimes route. Now granted it is not the fly to Rome and do the Mediterranean circuit that I had envisioned but…. for $65 US with two to share upscale accommodations which begin at $3000, meals and entertainment even if it is in my backyard, explain where I’d find those high season vacation prices otherwise. So I quickly accommodated the request and am in the process of drafting some destination titles while I check out the Princess and Royal Caribbean cruise itineraries.

Was glad to receive a text message from daughter # 1 with a new Calgary phone number so she is getting herself established out west. Also had an email from daughter # 3 saying she’s been chosen as a peer mentor for the nursing program at UNB next year. As well there was a call from the high school asking daughter # 2 to speak at the 90 + Club (marks not age that is) banquet in June. So those ladies know where they’re headed.

After all the grumbling about giving up my weekends to teach first aid I was thrilled to discover that an employee had managed to CPR for his two year old when she collapsed and stated that “once you start, the first aid training just comes right back to you”. So the little one had been stabilized and sent on to the Children’s hospital and hopefully there will be a full recovery. Can’t imagine a worse situation to find oneself in.

Since National Scrapbook Day not spring-cleaning is on the agenda for Saturday I am gathering up my supplies. Some mine, some a gift of the departing daughter, and looking forward to the weekend. For those of you who insist on house cleaning here are the instructions:

HOW TO CLEAN THE HOUSE
1. Open a new file in your PC .
2. Name it "Housework."
3. Send it to the RECYCLE BIN.
4. Empty the RECYCLE BIN.
5. Your PC will ask you, "Are you sure you want To delete Housework permanently?"
6. Calmly answer, "Yes," and press mouse button firmly...
7. Feel better?

At least we're not looking at the forecast that our 'out west' friend sent along for Saskatchewan:

The forecast is for 50 (FIFTY) centimeters of snow here in Prince Albert for Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess that can't be covered with the "it's a dry cold" statement can it?