Friday, April 25, 2008

Near miss

Back from an overnight and conference in the city and all went well. I was most impressed that the new Executive of our professional group is all fired up for their terms of office. It was the first full slate of candidates for some years and the interest and new faces made my heart sing. Good to see the succession planning succeeding.

When I made it home by 7:30 p.m. I was really tickled to discover that the man of the house had decided to surprise us all by bringing home a feed of lobsters. He apparently took out fish this a.m. as his boat was in and then as the wind died out a bit decided to haul traps. So he took son and girlfriend for the afternoon and things went well until it aired up a bit and got ‘kind of sloppy’ which resulted in green tinged missy heading for the bunk to hang on. As she said “even the smell of coffee was making me feel sick” But as I told her “never mind dear neither of those men could do what you’re doing for a living either” She was pleased to announce she had passed her Continuing Care Assistant course and is just now finishing up her clinical hours at the Manor while studying for provincial exams. I was very pleased that she also announced she had removed the tongue piercing so was able to enjoy the lobsters and not suffer anymore.

Daughter # 3 had a call from the nursing home (see above re: clinical) where she’ll be working for the summer and so is starting orientation on Monday with two 12-hour night shifts, then two days then two shifts on the Alzheimer Unit. So pretty exciting times. You certainly learn in nursing class, labs and with a clinical instructor but you can’t beat the real life experience gained with regular staff for a reality check.

Speaking of reality check we had a ‘near miss’ this evening as mister fell asleep in his chair in the Man Cave with the door open and was awakened as chastised by the baby daughter who was removing Stanley. Apparently he had been checking out the hamster that was getting a much-needed workout (almost doesn’t fit in his exercise wheel) It’s a good thing the cat didn’t cause a heart attack!

I discovered a feature on Facebook this evening, which is a live chat (sort of like MSN) and found a friend online in NB so we chatted for a few moments. As I said to the friend (a woman of my vintage) the best part was that the 18 yr old didn’t know this existed. Of course as with all things, it would be smoother if I weren’t on dialup.

I think I have the shore captain talked into going to see the movie 21, which is playing at the local theatre this weekend. Daughter # 1 (who is hoping she has a part time job in a chocolate store – what a dream job) in Calgary has highly recommended it.

Since this is the weekend I must get myself into the nest for some recharging.