Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Moving and storage

This day is almost over but the to-do list is not completed yet.

The early departure of daughter # 2 and her chauffeur father went smoothly and they managed to move all the furniture into the 2nd floor apartment even a queen sized box spring and mattress and large donated couch. I received a call after lunch with the new cell phone number for contact and they were getting the apt. put together. Good thing as missy has to start work in the a.m. at the museum. She advised that her Dad had gotten on the road by noon and was on the way to NB while they unpacked.

All these developments while I’m slogging through a district meeting, picking up my repaired sewing machine which has been in the shop since January and settling my first aid supplies before picking up some groceries on the way home.

Managed to get four loads of laundry done and three different beds made up for all the guests as the prodigal son (and his girlfriend) returned at dusk to roost. I was absolutely amazed to see that she had her tongue pierced! This made it virtually impossible to understand a thing she said and is so uncomfortable she could only eat soup, took Tylenol for the pain and is moaning in her sleep. Now remind me again why this would be a good thing to do. She is going lobstering with the boy at 3 a.m. so it will be a short night.

The man made good time as I spoke to him at 9 p.m. and he was just heading back into the city so home and in bed by midnight was great. Mind you that will not seem so great when the 4 a.m. alarm goes. So daughter # 3 and her boyfriend (had forgotten they’d both shaved their heads so that was a mild surprise again) have just unloaded the half-ton truck into the front hallway. “Mostly clothes and I’ll wash them,” she says of the mounds of canvas bags while I take a deep breath. Though when her partner says, “where do you want me to put the hamster?” I almost lost it. Had forgotten about the rodent. The cats, which had been only mildly interested, developed an intense curiosity in the process. The hamster is behind a secure door to the Man Cave where mister will sleep with the felines taking turns staring at the doorframe. And I’ve just been updated to the fact that he (boyfriend not the hamster) begins his 8 week clinical on May 5th so has 11 days here first.

After making lobster lunches I’m updated by a neighbour on the progress of plant employee’s baby in the children’s hospital where there is talk of trip to Toronto to insert an implantable defibrillator in a couple of weeks. She’s doing much better but has a temporary blindness due to mild brain swelling which they say will settle. So the plans for fundraising are in full swing as we still live in an area where the neighbours support you in times of crises.

So the morning in Grand Central Station will come early for me as well. I must hit the hay.