Sunday, April 6, 2008

Removing archived material

Just a quick note to let you all know that I have had a quick immersion last evening in how to remove material archived on this (and most) blogs. This is in part because in the past over a year of this blog being published - although I try my best not to post personal identifiers in the musings - on a post of last month (when I admit I was hurrying and not as diligent as I should have been) I inadvertently posted a name with some information and a request for removal of this was made through the comments section. Well, of course, not a problem and my sincerest apolgies, so I removed the text and thought that would cover the situation as it no longer appears in the archives. Not so. The Google cache still searches for and finds the modified post for some time, meaning even though it's no longer there, it once was and this is located. So this required a visit to the Blogspot help section, research of how to undo my dilemma (I know about spiders, how often the blog is swept, and have restricted some general access now) and finally posting of the 'how to remove' question with a reply from a helpful soul who advised I needed to contact the Google Webmaster and ask to have the material removed so obviously I am not the first or only naive soul blogging. This request for removal I did forward and now the instructions are to 'be patient' as the request is handled within 3 - 5 business days. So this will shortly be permanently accomodated and I have learned a lesson in the permanency of the digital environment and need to only hit the publich post button when in control of my faculties.

I'm off to the second day of the last first aid course I plan to teach for a bit so must scoot. Have a new instructor along to monitor and he's going to be fine but speaking of patience I'm hoping it's granted soon as it's like watching paint dry to see him trying to get around the material. If only my control freak tendencies would fade with age.