Thursday, June 14, 2007

Fortunately I'm not a pension prisoner

Today I felt like Curious George, you know fortunately George fell into a haystack, unfortunately there was a pitch fork in the haystack, fortunately George missed it, unfortunately he also missed the haystack etc etc. Fortunately I have a benefits plan that pays for massages, unfortunately after the day I put in I was in desperate need of one. Fortunately I have a pension plan, unfortunately I have to work with this employer for ten years to qualify - not going to happen as I am not a pension prisoner. I ‘may’ be in the workforce for that many years but I’m getting more and more certain that it won’t be in this position because:

* There were major issues with the M word as in do employees have to use sick leave if they must remain off work after being in contact with mumps? This resulted in a back and forth email flurry from Human Resources to the OHNs across three districts with input from Public Health. At this writing, the jury is still out on the plan.

* There was a situation involving the asbestos removal at work where a very young (looked the age of my son) technician arrived to do air testing. When I introduced myself as the OHN and asked (as directed by the project manager) for the test results I was told that the results would be sent to the project manager. While I was still caught up in musing ‘are you old enough to be doing this work? Do you even shave yet?‘ he was looking me over with a rather condescending glance. When I requested a copy I was told by this fresh faced youth that he “worked for the project manager” There was a seasoned foreman silently watching this exchange with an incredulous face. As I walked away I said to the foreman “he works for me, not the project manager because I catch the flak here” and let it go.

* The afternoon was spent in a series of extremely intensive staff meetings with high level administration and staff working their way through some pretty ugly issues. I was thankful that I’ve moved on in my career and not stayed in one position in one facility for the past few decades - the frustration and lack of outside view can make ones perspective understandably quite narrow. I was also thankful that I had a massage therapist waiting for me.

While I was checking my email I found an ad for a blog writer. Now THAT’S something I could do. You just have to write three posts of 200 words each per day for five days per week. There were several topics which interested me / I was qualified for. The only reservation was that this start up company would ‘make revenue streams available to you’ well my revenue streams now - just away from me. I deal with the issues of painfully slow dialup access, ancient computer and the fact that I have a demanding day job and need to run a busy household. Sleep would be optional on this plan. Hmmm will have to investigate further. Perhaps there is a way to 'try on' the project while still juggling, have done that before.

When I came home from work I found that the excavation company had been here today and put the boulders in place on the left side of the driveway and filled in the rest of the crushed stone. It looks great but I think I know how the dinosaurs felt trapped as I wasn’t sure the car would make it out in the a.m. as it was so crawly. You can see where the flower beds will go in the front - at this point they are conceptual only. You have to imagine the cut stone which will go in front.

After supper tonight I got a call from the manor saying Mom had fallen but seemed okay. She’d been having an off day today as when I was over to visit this afternoon she was asleep in bed, having asked to lie down. Apparently staff heard a faint “help, help” which necessitated a thorough search and she was located in the shower room sitting on the floor in the dark. Stood up and didn’t seem to have any injuries then asked to go to bed now. So, she continues to fail physically.

But tomorrow is Friday - yeehaw! The cleaning lady is here in the a.m. - yippee! It’s baby daughter’s birthday on Saturday - wow! Daughter # 2 is heading home on Saturday for the birthday and Fathers Day - can’t wait!