Monday, June 25, 2007

One prom down and one to go

I had the usual busy day at the district facility where I cautioned my teammate that we were only going to vaccinate staff today right? (the clinic was held at the site of the original crime of - are you a resident or employee? after we had already immunized if you recall) but not as busy as the graduate did here today. She was up and off to school to write her final exam (French) rehearsal for graduation, to shower at a friend’s house, pick up her list of food for prom/grad then to get her hair done, home to get ready. When I arrived from work at 4:15 she was all spiffed up, ready to go and pretty pumped. Looked just like a princess as both of her sisters had done before her. Her date arrived shortly after - nice looking man in a tuxedo - I told them they looked like Ken & Barbie go to the prom. Got some photos of the happy couple and they were off for another photo call and then to the festivities at his high school.Missy had picked up her blue graduation gown today and excitedly said “Mom, can you believe it? I’m graduating Thursday!” as she hung it up. No I can’t my dear. Maybe it’s because she’s the last one but this has snuck up on me.

Tomorrow is the prom at ‘our’ high school so after decorating there will be another getting ready session and then photos, and the ‘march’ and then the gala. I’ll head back in tomorrow for that event. I was thinking this evening that all three of our girls who have to date attended five proms, have cost less than half of one usual female attendee. I sewed dresses for the two older sisters then this one found two dresses at Frenchy’s (the one this evening was $9, tomorrow’s was $8) and her older sister found a $5 outfit the year she came back as a courtesy date for her sister’s boyfriend’s friend. Can’t ask for better than that. So glad I don’t have materialistic children. In fact I’ve always thought they were the most beautiful girls at the prom.

In all the festivities I managed last night to get my biography done to go with my publicity photo. Hard to explain me in 250 words as I’m such a complex woman ha! I also submitted my postcard story about the movie Woodstock to a website called Silver Boomers - sounds like the appropriate venue eh? Have made myself a promise to write/submit pieces regularly. How else am I going to get myself invited on press trips eh?