Sunday, June 24, 2007

No, I said whipping cream

Had some ‘me time’ yesterday as I attended a Saturday morning writing workshop which was a great chance to meet other writers and learn some new techniques. Always good to get feedback on your work, gives you courage to keep on writing. It was held in a tea room so there was a great selection of scones, muffins, cookies and tea at break then we stayed for lunch (I’m sounding like the son here where I’m measuring the event by the food) which was a nice salad and Portobello galette (not sure what it was - kind of like a pie crust with veggies on top - but it was delicious). And my writing buddy treated me to the lunch, so that was very generous of him.

I stopped on the way home from the workshop to pick up a few groceries and had decided to make strawberry shortcake. Likely wouldn’t have if I’d realized that they were $5 a quart and we need three boxes here to feed the masses! I looked for the whipping cream but I’m not familiar with the layout of this Superstore and I don’t look for milk because we have home delivery so I found myself wandering aimlessly. Now daughter # 2 has worked for this company and staff are trained to stop and assist a customer who asks them for help. As a late 30s male employee walked towards me I stepped into his path and said “excuse me, can you tell me where the whipping cream is?” He stopped and said “you mean in a can?” gesturing over my shoulder towards the Reddiwhip display. “No, I mean whipping cream”. He looks puzzled and tries again “cool whip?” he asks. “No, cream you whip!” I say firmly. He pauses and says “oh, Nutriwhip” I am not going to leave without whipping cream I say to myself and take a deep breath “I mean cream you whip, like milk from a cow” I tell him. The light goes on. He points at the dairy case at the rear of the store, only place I hadn’t wandered. I thank him and head over to pick up a carton, wondering on the stroll just what it is he considers whipping cream.

We had a nice visit from daughter # 2 and her boyfriend who had stayed at the cottage and came out for supper. Steamed clams and brushetta for starters then chicken wings, rice and fresh green beans for mains, strawberry shortcake with REAL whipped cream for dessert. They rolled out the door with their clean laundry. They were planning on visiting the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic in Lunenburg on the way back to Halifax - well worth the trip if you ever get the chance. Well actually daughter # 2 was doing the planning and the boyfriend was going along with the idea.

Am trying to get caught up on the chores and rested up as the week will be starting out with a bang and not slowing down until Friday when…we’ll be into a long holiday weekend. Tomorrow is a final French exam for the graduate, then graduation rehearsal, hair appointment and getting ready for the prom at the boyfriend’s high school. I’ll need to make it home from the district facility in time to be the official photographer of them dressed up and ready to have fun. Tuesday will mean the graduate will be ‘doing helium’ at the school (that sounds dangerous) then getting ready for her own prom which she is attending with a friend. Both of these proms have ‘after prom parties’ so sleep will be limited I’m sure. Wednesday she works as a sandwich artist and Thursday is orientation day for the nursing home job then graduation with the Safe Grad celebration going on until 4:30 a.m. Friday brings an evening shift as a sandwich artist again. I’m getting tired just chronicling the schedule let alone participating - oh to be 18 again eh?