Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Counting down the days


We're into the final stretch here with last minute exam cramming - believe it or not I knew a thing or two about political science - as well as parties, work, hair appointments, photos, prom, grad and that doesn't include all the mundane things like work for me (have to head to the Valley again tomorrow for the day) fishing for the # 1 son and getting the boat ready to go for the shore captain. The possibility of a visit from # 2 daughter this weekend as well as next week for her sister's graduation. Promises to be life in the fast lane.

Today was a blur at work. One of the more colorful situations was when I was explaining to a colleague about a managers 'plow right through style' in dealing with personnel issues. I suggested that this persons style of housecleaning would be to open the doors, throw everything out on the lawn and attack the cleaning project then leave me to deal with the leftover debris. You get the picture right? This style is helpful when you're dealing with emergent situations, something that has just developed or become suddenly serious and can't be left - like outdated food in the fridge someone might accidently eat. The definition of triage - immediately deciding what needs to be dealt with right now! If the situation has grown over time, is complicated, involves humans well...sometimes it's not so straight forward to sort out and full frontal attack can cause a lot of angst.

Since I now think I'm going to recover from my cold, I've started making more long range plans than one day at a time, for example - what's the weather this weekend?. I sound worse now as it's settled in my sinuses so I find that folks are more sympathetic. Much better.