Monday, June 18, 2007

Summer has arrived

It was Monday, no choice but to go back to work even if I was suffering from whatever the family has been incubating lately. The usual excitement, topped with an extra helping of computer difficulties. The tech says to me “this is one of those things which happen randomly to some people” It being fairly obvious that I am one of the ‘some people’ in this area.

What a beautiful day today turned out to be…summer has finally arrived. We went from foggy, cold and windy to a sunny 24 c in one day. Yeehaw. It was still beautiful at 5 p.m. while I sat in the lawn chair and read the newspaper then it was shorts and a t-shirt to walk the dog and we both found it warm. Since there were only the life partner and myself for supper we enjoyed it in the veranda and it was still warm at 9 p.m. when we watched the sunset - decadent. Some of the 'summer neighbour' are returning - a true sign of the season.

My travel partner left for New York today with her travel group and they sure had good weather for flying. Can imagine it will be a fun-filled, Broadway, shopping, sightseeing week. Will have to hear those stories after the return. Such is the life of some single women. I finally got around to digging out the cruise scrapbook to see about organizing the photos, so I’m already one trip behind.

On one of our trips to Boston when I was a kid, to visit family we went shopping in Filene’s basement and I was given/bought a Thingmaker. This was a metal mould cooker which you plugged in, filled the designs (various types from bugs, flowers, seasonal etc) with colored goop and baked. The smell is indescribable but unforgettable and the result were stretchy, gooey creatures. Likely were bad for the air quality when cooking, unsafe for kids to use unsupervised, messy. All kinds of reasons why they wouldn't be considered acceptable nowadays. I couldn’t believe it when I came across a photo of them online - apparently I’m not the only nostalgic baby boomer out there. I can't imagine their purpose. I remember sticking them on the windows for decorations but other than that....