Monday, June 4, 2007

Happy anniversary, happy anniversary

Happy anniversary, happy anniversary to…us. Can’t believe that it’s been 30 years since we walked down that aisle. We had a red serge wedding as the RCMP kit was free as opposed to renting a tuxedo and when we were married in Temple U.B. Church a number of ladies from the community, who wouldn’t have necessarily been invited but were welcome at the service, sat at the back all teary eyed, just to see all those handsome men in their uniforms. We had a receiving line at the back of the church and as they were leaving they all kissed their way through the line and congratulated us. The best man and groomsman had no clue who they were but enjoyed all the attention, the groom would whisper periodically to me “who in the heck is that?“ as if they were wedding crashers. The day was kind of drizzly, just like today, but the sun came out for a few moments just after the ceremony and made for some nice outdoor photos. Wow, we looked so young - mostly because we were - to think that I have two daughters older than that now! Actually the oldest daughter is the one who arrived with this cake as a nice surprise this evening to mark the major milestone. We have planned a BBQ here for Saturday p.m. as it’s too good an excuse for a party to pass up.

As far as days at work went - today was no worse than most lately - and it rained so what else are you gonna do on a Monday? Well, I had a list of possibilities as long as my arm as I got ready this a.m. but.. I thought about that great university that baby daughter will be attending in the fall and I picked up my umbrella. When you consider that amongst two of the districts in our region there are supposed to be eight staff (which aren’t enough to begin with) and today with a combination of work and vacation there were three of us covering things off in the middle of all sorts of crises…it certainly could have been much worse. And next week two of the team I work with in the district are off to Edmonton for a conference so I’ll be holding down the fort. I made it clear from last fall when the talk turned to the conference that I was not putting my name in as I had my plate full this year so hopefully the national event will be in a more remote location that Halifax next time around when I’m in a better position to go.

Well off to Lunenburg tomorrow as there is a presentation for equipment and I’m being picked up by a group from the district facility. It occurs to me that most folks don’t get to be entertained in their work day by salespersons trying to sell tubes that are inserted into people and then looked through. Life in the fast lane.