Monday, October 29, 2007

Monday Monday

Well not a live blog but not a dead one either. Today as I was making my way to the district facility for the day I was listening to CBC radio and they had a piece on about blogging and one of the types was a ‘live blog’ whereby a blogger was documenting an event (in this case some sort of techie conference) as it was happening, linking to the presenters, summarizing the goings on and the readers just had to keep hitting the refresh button on their browser to ‘be there’ in real-time. In my view this would move the blog from the realm of a hobby into an addiction. Although there was talk about earning money by linking ads to the blog and being paid according to the number of people who clicked on the ads, that sounded like it would take all the fun out of keeping friends and family up to date.

Actually the CBC was the most fun I had during my workday (defined as working when you’re paid mileage to travel for your job) as the remainder of it kind of sucked. I arrived to do the orientation sessions and …this may sound like déjà vu to some loyal blog readers because I’ve described the scenario I’m about to relate and it is not the first, not the second not even the third or fourth but more like the fifth or sixth time the events have unfolded as I am about to recount. The presenter ahead of me is supposed to finish by 10:10 a.m. and I come in to set up. I made my presence known at 10:10, again at 10:15 and finally stood in the doorway glaring like Snoopy on the top of his doghouse at 10:20. By 10:30 he concludes and sends the group off for a much needed break. I attempt to set up and am told by several of the new employees that the first HR presenter this a.m. couldn’t get the projector/laptop to work. I try to call HR at the urging of the tardy presenter just leaving although I did inform him that if they answered my call for help it would be the first time in 18 months they had ever answered the phone when I’ve been in difficulty. He smilingly comments on my negativity and heads off. As I am unfortunately correct about the lack of help from HR the ICP I’m doing the presentation for arrives with her laptop and we move to the room next door as there is a projector set up. By now it is 10:45 (remember I am to start at 10:15) and I have less than two hours to cover more than two hours of material. I am NOT impressed as you can imagine. The ICP heads off to HR to complain about the poor setup and threaten the HR Director that I am on my way up. When she was told the first HR presenter had GONE HOME after his presentation, she was livid. She tells me that as her huff arrived and she left in it the Director was frantically dialing technology folks and asking how much a projector cost. My nerves. I was unable to force myself to go up and deal with the situation as I was not feeling that strong and we have a large mortgage on this new house. And this just takes us up until noon but I’m too discouraged to continue on with the afternoon’s antics. To think that I’m headed back there tomorrow – different venue so hopefully things will go smoother.

On a more pleasant note we received an email from the baby daughter saying she had an 80 on her biology exam for muscles. And if anyone has experienced the torture of trying to commit all those Latin names to memory you will have to admit that is not a shabby mark. She is now slogging through a nursing paper. What fun. I am certainly pleased that I am not doing a term paper on any topic myself just now. If I was thinking of taxing unused areas of my brain I should be studying my Spanish for this winters getaway.

Tomorrow evening is scrapbooking and it looks like two of the shift workers in my circle are available to attend so that is a pleasant end to the day. I’ve got Swiss steak in the slow cooker for supper and have firmly instructed (none of that hinting stuff required here - this is heavy duty) the life partner that I expect an accompaniment such as rice or noodles to be waiting for me when I get home – or else! In my empty nest state I’ve gone from idle parental threats to idle partner ones.