Monday, October 1, 2007

Second shift

It’s 10 p.m. and time for a union break. I’ve been working steadily at my second shift since I headed out of the district facility and over to Zellers/Superstore at 3 p.m. today. I stopped at the jewelry counter and this very patient, very determined clerk “I don’t give up easy” she said, attached the watchband I’d purchased last week, which had been declared by the life partner as “the wrong size”. I didn’t bother to tell him that it took15 min. and a new set of pins to work this magic. I managed to pick up $200 worth of groceries (first time I’ve done a food shop that size since August – wonder why?) while counseling employees on the cell phone. After unpacking and putting away the food (mister does give up that easy as he lasted through about ½ of it) making supper and walking the dog it was time to start on the ‘chef to go’ routine. I’ve made brown bread, a macaroni and cheese casserole (well almost as I didn’t have any macaroni) but it’s ready to assemble, lasagna, and apple strudel muffins. Tomorrow evening will be apple and pumpkin pies and chocolate chip cookies as well as another loaf of brown bread (one per evening will give me one for each offspring and/or their partner). Planning to have all the baking out of the way so there’s only the Thanksgiving supper to put together.

I think I’ve done pretty well considering I’ve been awake since before 6 a.m. because as the shore captain (who was feeling sorry for himself as he’s too busy to go) said “everyone and his grandmother is headed down the harbour for the first day of ‘outside season gunning’ or duck hunting as it’s called in the rest the world. There was a steady stream of outboard engines droning by our bedroom window as day broke. The dog was also feeling neglected with all the activity (must be in her genes) as the boats moved past her doghouse.

I was certainly pleased I’d rescued my hibiscus from the veranda, as there was FROST on my car windshield this morning. Now mind you, I parked in the shade and it was removed with lots of windshield washer fluid, wipers and the defroster (no scraping yet) but…this is getting serious – we’re into fall now! The plant is almost 9 ft. tall and this is the most blossoms I’ve ever seen so it would’ve been a shame to murder it.

My first stop of the day was at Canadian Tire to purchase a buddy seat, which is for the back of the 4 wheeler. This is to replace one trashed by offspring and is much better than the rack I’ve been perched on my last two trips in to camp. I arrived at orientation to find that it was running over ½ hr late and that we were using the CEOs laptop/projector, as the other setup wasn’t working. Talk about pressure before even starting! I managed to not blow anything up, get through the material and allow for a bite of lunch for the participants but it sure wasn’t easy. The joys of technology.

I spent the day thinking that I wasn't nearly as busy as 23 years ago today when I was in labour! Yes today is the first born's birthday. Imagine!