Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Fit yet?

Back to the regular work routine today and of course that began with the excavation of 75 + emails, voice mails, sorting of paper mail. All the 'new fangled' technology has only increased the overstimulation and expectations of immedicacy - not reduced anything. Everyone who had been waiting for my return pounced and I didn't get much of my 'to do' list done. One of those positive messages was from the travel agent saying that the travel 'stuff' had arrived and could be picked up (so that's on Friday's list). Did manage to suffer through the last of the course lectures while sorting mail etc. Thankfully the topic is occupational health so at least I can fake it! Had a group teleconference tonight to address the quiz so now it's only two more to go and one is the e-grad ceremony. Just give me that certificate and no one will get hurt!

Today's was Mom's 93rd birthday so I dropped over to Roseway Manor at lunch with a cake for her. She was pleased to see me as someone who belonged to her - she always asks if I'm driving the (getaway) car. The staff had decorated the hall and kitchen with streamers, had party napkins and plates all waiting. I managed to get the candles lit without any major fire hazard and myself, staff and the other residents sang a rousing happy birthday. When I asked what her wish was as she blew out the candles she said "to get the heck out of this place" As one of the nurses said "that was her wish last year too, some things never change" She managed to sit still long enough to eat a big piece of cake which is great as she's down to 122lbs due to being on the go so much lately. She hasn't been settling to eat and is doing a pretty good aerobic workout herself with the pacing and kicking of exit doors. There was a wall display of the birthday celebrant so when I pointed out the photo of her and asked who it was, Mom says "oh I don't know that could be any of these old one's grandmothers - you never know around here" We are so lucky that she is living in such a wonderful caring place. Makes a tough situation much better.

Today the official confirmation arrived from University of New Brunswick (Fredericton campus) for the Bachelor of Nursing program prospective student along with room confirmation and.... an entrance bursary for $500 for an 80% average - not too shabby! So becoming more real all the time but still a long way to send your baby - 18 or not - especially to a challenging program. Will have to keep my eyes peeled at Frenchy's for scrub suits and warm up jackets in size extra small for (as her future brother-in-law calls her) the short surly one.

Managed to fit in a brisk walk and then my exercise routine. This involved locking myself into the bedroom, turning up the music loud (to cover my groans and panting) taking the baking timer to let me know when the two minutes of cardio torture was up, doing my best and trying to keep track of my reps etc. My fitness friend said "oh you're a closet exerciser are you?" No I told her, I just can't stand fending off the cats or advice from the life partner in my fragile state. Discovered that I really couldn't remember what those written down terms meant so decided that 'coming close' and getting my heart rate up was the main thing. Definitely did that as well as face flushed and short of breath - even if it's not completely right form. Will get together with my fit friend on Thursday to reinforce my 'style' I think it can best be described as flailing, or perhaps distressed. Actually this time around it was not nearly as exhausting so just maybe I've gained a tiny bit of ground.

Cleaning lady here tomorrow. Woohoo!