Friday, March 16, 2007

March Break storm - as usual

Had a early start where I got up to make pancakes for daughter # 2 going off to Halifax for the weekend to work at being a pirate at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic but… wasn’t really awake and managed to make crepes the first time around (they did look kind of flat but my eyes weren’t really open) when the daughter says “Mom did you forget to put baking soda in these?” I sure did. So the second attempt was much lighter. After she headed out I decided that the cooking accident meant I was sleep deprived and crawled up on the sofa (complete with two cats on top of me) and dozed until the phone awakened me with the offspring announcing her safe arrival in the city. Much better way to start my last day of vacation.

We are in the midst of another (hopefully the last of the season) winter storm. It seems that we always get a really nasty blizzard the week of March Break and this year kept the pattern. Since this afternoon we’ve had snow, ice pellets and now freezing rain with high winds - what a mess! Think this is one of those times when the dog gets to be an inside canine for the night. Daughter # 3 is getting tired of crashing overnight at her friend’s house when she works and it storms - has worn out the zipper in her overnight bag.

I managed to get my travel vaccines started yesterday and it’s a pretty tightly choreographed dance to get oral typhoid, doctoral and antimalarials scheduled. Am ticking off my ‘to-do’ list daily with preparation in stages. Would have had a fashion show today to set up my cruise packing but… my fashion consultant is being a sandwich artist and then storm stayed. So that’s on tomorrow’s agenda.

I’ve made arrangements with my friend (a personal trainer) to get a program going as I’ve decided I’ve got to get myself in better shape so had to give my life/medical history and sign all my rights away to allow a consult. We’re hoping to get together on Sunday to get a routine set up. If I had to think of adding driving to/from and participating in a fitness class to my present schedule… it would not happen. And I want to be able to keep up with my travel mate on our vacation, if she should opt for a session in the gym.

How does a week of vacation slip away so quickly and a week of work take an eternity to get through? Amazing about measuring time eh? Two more days of temporary freedom before it's back to the usual routine.