Friday, January 25, 2008

Friday's here

Why did it take so long for Friday to arrive if it was only a four-day week for me? I was certainly excited to see it though. This morning I was reminded by the shore captain that I’d promised to take his truck to be serviced so getting to work involved dropping him at his employee’s house to pick up the ton truck, stopping at the garage to pick up someone to drive it back and getting my carcass out at work after dropping off the test writing student at the NSCC. A full slate before I even arrived. Sigh.

The day was less than joyous. I was greeted with the news that I have to have my office packed up to move by Tuesday p.m. when I leave although there is no idea where the temporary location will be. I stopped to talk to a friend who told me about a local teenager who was battling some kind of cancer, which had appeared rapidly – I was almost ill on the spot. I discovered that the in patient unit was in turmoil, attempting to find a spot to admit someone into and playing musical beds in the attempt – you would think nurses worked for a moving and storage company. Earlier one of the staff had taken a real skidder and hit her head into the door when she slid – this is one of number of spills on new flooring of last summer which holds moisture when scrubbed. The workload was heavy and is always further emotionally charged when young patients (defined as my age or thereabouts) are terminal. I worked through lunch and then realized I didn’t have the dialup information for the conference call at 1 p.m. so I phoned a workmate who was at the session in Halifax and she wondered why I wasn’t on the call, gave me the info – and I joined in. As much fun as a root canal, what was I thinking? There was much back and forth to various levels of management in emails as we prepare for an accreditation survey. I went over to the Manor in the afternoon to take them their chocolate cookies and a card, which was not even close to able to explain my gratitude to them, and have a tea break. I did my February calendar only to cheer myself up because I was able to write vacation on half of the month. By 4 p.m. I had forgotten that I was minus a vehicle so hadn’t hitched a ride uptown with anyone to the garage so had to call and wait for someone to pick me up.

I will think about packing, thank you cards, getting the camera ready, finishing up my writing pieces for the group deadline, and getting organized for scrapbooking here on Monday night but…I’ll think about it tomorrow.