Sunday, January 27, 2008

Snow again

Well we are in the middle of another (yes I know it’s hard to believe) winter snowstorm and I’m sure hoping it’ll all rain off so we can scrapbook tomorrow evening. I don’t seem to have great luck with the weather and scrapping. In the shorter term I may have to beg a ride of the in house 4-wheel drive chauffeur. What a pain winter is.

Today I managed to get my three writing pieces polished up and submitted to the writing group. We wrote articles at our last meeting and are submitting them to the artist’s group so they can paint a picture from the visual of the words. My first choice was one I did about a NS Duck Tolling Retriever, now that would make a nice picture; only trouble is I’d have to buy it.

Reminds me of the time I did a presentation for a health education course I was taking as part of my OHN certificate program and I chose a project on health care 100 years ago. I decided to dress in costume as the local cable company agreed to film the grade four class my daughter was in, so I borrowed an outfit from a lady at an antique shop and some props and you guessed it – I ended up buying all the props. Not only that but it was the beginning of my medical equipment collection. Yes I admit it, I have feeding cups, bedpans, even a bottle of Lydia Pinkham’s medicinal compound with the original label, medical instruments, smelling salts, you name it, and I have it. Mind you, I did get an A+ on the project. But I digress.

I also managed to make a sweet potato pie a la Pete’s Frootique in the Sunday Herald column, which tasted a lot like Mom’s squash pie used to. Trying to use up all the perishables before departure day.

I fit in a dog walk before leaving for the baby shower and what a social event that was!! I have never attended a baby shower with over 60 guests and the gift opening took…well I don’t really know how long it took as I waited for my gift to be opened and that was over an hour later before I slipped out. There were so many grandmothers, great grandmothers and competing step grandmothers that some of the gifts were well over $150, some had so many sleeper sets in them I lost count, and many were completely extravagant. I am sure whole towns of third world children would share the dividends of that bonanza.

I stopped for a few non-perishable groceries on the way home, which resulted in a late supper. Then a halfhearted attempt to get the house in a bit of order in case there is a social event here tomorrow night.

After checking out the baggage allowance for Cubana on the e-ticket and realizing that it is only one checked bag and 23 kg out of Montreal (not the two and 46 kg listed out of Toronto on the website) I am assuming due to plane size - there was a minor marital dispute and reordering of priorities and packing plan. The packing, always a painful experience at best was further complicated by the liquid in the carry on rules, cats attempting to stowaway in the luggage, lateness of the hour (at 9 p.m. well past the life partner’s bedtime) and ADD and general uncooperativeness of said partner. There is a reason I was happy on some levels to not travel with him last year. What I can report is that the bags are weighed, packed and waiting for a few more medical supplies stored at work.

Can’t wait to get to work tomorrow to start packing all over again. Ha. But only two more days before I have two weeks off. Yeehaw. Must go hit the hay.

So I leave you with a smile my birthday twin sent along:

To all my friends who sent me best wishes in 2007, or promises of good luck if I forwarded something, it did NOT WORK. For 2008, could you please just send either money, chocolate or gas vouchers.
Thank you!