Saturday, January 5, 2008

I'm a star

Well the workweek turned out to be a bit more exciting than I’d anticipated. Who’d have thought this would be my big break as a media star? Since a presentation was needed for a site which is a 2 hr. drive each way when the weather cooperates the suggestion was made to telebroadcast the session. This required a bit of organizing of equipment and personnel making for a frantic Thursday afternoon. I made a post work wardrobe trip to Frenchy’s after consultation with a colleague fashion advisor – not white it washes you out, black is too heavy, nothing with a bold pattern, nothing too bulky – kind of left only a pink sweater which was waiting for me there. When I wore lipstick on Friday I received a number of questions as to what I was up to from coworkers– they’re lucky I didn’t tell them to talk to my publicist. The session went well despite some minor technical difficulties. I told them that my husband had commented that being able to talk for two hours straight with no one to talk back was my kind of fun. It was a good learning experience and will look good on my cruise speaking/post retirement resume.

I also came home to find two lovely bar stools in the kitchen which are just the right height, have a foot rest and are good for extended perches. As you can see Gary approves of them as well. He’s taken to looking out through the bars in the back as if he’s incarcerated much like the kids used to when they were contained behind the ‘child safety gate’. Reminds me of one of a list of stress management exercises where you are instructed to look through the tines of a fork at folks who are driving you nuts and imagine them behind jail bars - works for me.

I took the Christmas decorations down from around the house today, which is always a sort of melancholy time as I really do enjoy the holidays. I was encouraged to do this by a 5:30 a.m. rude encounter where the man of the house bounded from bed, turned on the light and snatched a small rattly apple tree ornament, which the cats were playing soccer with behind the door away from them and stomped back to bed. Good to be a deep sleeper but a bit of a challenge to process all that from unconscious to full stomp in a few seconds.

Now for some of you who are more Martha Stewart-like than moi I provide the following link to 12 Kitchen Tips:
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/12-tips-to-simplify-kitchen-life.html

But in this house the smile of the week was the note the cleaning lady wrote saying it was time to retire the mop – did she sincerely believe that I have EVER looked at the mop except for when I bought it for her?