Monday, January 14, 2008

A life well lived

Today has been an extra long day although it’s only 9 p.m. I spent the morning getting caught up on stats after the fit testing expert did not arrive due to the weather forecast and dealing with various crisis du jour. At least my cold made me sound worse than I felt so folks pretty much left me alone.

I headed over to the Manor about 1 p.m. to check up on Mom. Things were going down hill in a hurry and I elected to stay for the afternoon, as at first it appeared that she was in pain but actually was likely just frightened as she settled when I arrived. At 4:20 p.m. she slipped peacefully away as I held her hand and you really can’t ask for better than that when it comes to having lived a full almost 94 years.

With the major winter storm which was raging by 5 p.m. the life partner headed out to pick up daughter #1 from her carpool stop at Superstore and then headed in to retrieve me. As he said “with 2.5 hrs on dry pavement I’d be in Halifax with this much driving” describing the 4-wheel drive slog of usually two 20 minute drives. By the time we’d made it home and I conferred with my siblings the arrangements were made for the visitation on Thursday and memorial service on Friday. I’m not expected at work until Monday so the next few days will give me some space to draft a bit of a eulogy and hopefully recover a bit from this cold.

Must take my decongestant and head off to bed. Will be in touch as the dust settles.