Monday, January 21, 2008

Vacation planning

While daughter # 2 was home we watched the movie JUNO and it’s not difficult to see why Ellen Page is up for an Oscar in that one. If you get a chance, give it a view. Not that I’m supporting teen pregnancies and I’m very grateful that I haven’t had to hear “I’m pregnant” from any of my daughters when they were 16, but the topic was very well done.

When I congratulated a friend who had produced four sons (including a set of twins) and had only one grandson on the birth of a granddaughter she agreed it was a treat and mentioned that her grandchild had Downs’s syndrome. She further explained this made no difference their family and of course she is correct. I told her that as a nurse for over three decades I had seen too many people wishing for babies of a certain gender, or planning exact spacing of children without thoughts to how fortunate they are to have a healthy infant. And of course this granddaughter will be special no matter what.

We are a winter wonderland again as well as a deep freeze. It snowed during the night and early morning and the white was quite a surprise on Sunday a.m. as only chance of flurries had been predicted. The roads are all clear by the p.m. as the sun came out for a bit making for a lovely scene. Not too cold for daughter # 2 and I to sort refundables which she is using towards her spring break grad trip to San Francisco next month. We were grateful that we weren’t cart people though making grocery money that way. We rewarded ourselves by scrapbooking a page in the construction album, which is almost complete.

Today was the trip back to university with daughter # 2 with a stop at the recycling depot for a $34 refund and then on to shop for her travel alarm clock with the profits. While I was waiting for stamps at the post office there I was listening to two men talking about how retirement almost drove them crazy, counting the days etc. and I was thinking ‘you crazy guys’ as I walked away. A stop back in Yarmouth to do some shopping for the Cuban family – footwear was the most requested item this year and the usual blockade barred items of Tylenol etc. Can’t believe is just about a week and we’re out of here. A grocery pit stop and we were on the way home. The visibility was poor / some slippery patches intermittently up and back.

More white stuff predicted for today and tomorrow, will make all the packing and fur children arrangements being made easier to take. Not to mention the fact that the Santiago de Cuba weather forecast doesn’t fall below 24 c in the next week. However, I’m not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow to face a week of extra workload in addition to everything else. Sigh. I think I’ll go sit in the sauna with my book and pretend I’m already on the beach.