Sunday, January 13, 2008

What's been going on

As you might have noticed I have not been very diligent about updating the blog lately. And no, it’s not because things are more frantic than usual. With the usual rhythm of this house there are times in the past almost year since I’ve started this blog which would be hard to match for frenzied activity. A number of issues have conspired to take my creative (and other) energy over the past week or so.

Work has been particularly high pressure for the past few months with one team member off, another under the weather for a few days, vacation by a third and the holidays in addition. The pace of the workplace has increased due to a new team leader which means almost starting over on many levels as well as a high patient census and acuity. Some unexpected lab results and the looming accreditation process caused a peak in frenetic activity last week. None of these promises to settle for at least six months. And tomorrow there is fit testing scheduled (N95 masks not cardiovascular workout thank goodness) at our workplace.

There is another major winter storm predicted for the next two days, which will make the trips back and forth to gainful employment a challenge. Good to have a hook up with someone who has a 4wheel drive at times like this. I noticed him tweaking up his plow for the front of the ATV this afternoon in the weather breeder we had of 12c and balmy sunny skies. I had planned to host a scrapbooking evening tomorrow here but the weather forecast has caused us to reschedule. A small bonus is that the imposed deadline of today on the in-house carpenter for floor repair was met.

But dealing with my mother as she gradually declines after her fall and fractured hip has drained my energy. This is not an unexpected development for someone in her frail state and advanced age but is taking a good deal of my attention. It is also causing some confusion in the travel department as it has finally registered with the life partner that he may be traveling solo in 16 days to Cuba. I will wait to see but it’s unlikely I’ll be free to leave. So I haven’t been particularly engaged in the planning process and because I am the organized part of the traveling duo this is causing some difficulties. Also only one person and therefore half of the baggage allowance traveling will mean some shuffling/reduction of gifts for Cuban friends.

This afternoon I played hooky from all my adult responsibilities and went to a writing group session. I was online and didn’t check messages before leaving so arrived at my writing buddy’s door to find him not accompanying me. By then I was already out of the house and pointed in the right direction so carried through. There was an eclectic collection of about a dozen writers and we did some exercises to produce pieces, which artists will choose to paint. Will be interesting to see what they come up with for our offerings.

Off to prepare for work in the a.m. beginning with finding my winter boots which have made it to the back of the closet with our mild weather. I leave you with the following sent by my birthday twin:

Remember...a layer of dust protects the Wood beneath it. 'A house becomes a home when you can write 'I love you' on the furniture.' I used to spend at least 8 hours every weekend making sure things were just perfect - 'in case someone came over' Finally I realized one day that no-one came over; they were all out living life and having fun! NOW, when people visit, I don't have to explain the 'condition' of my home . They are more interested in hearing about the things I've been doing while I was away living life and having fun. If you haven't figured this out yet, please heed this advice. Life is short. Enjoy it! Dust if you must ....... but wouldn't it be better to paint a picture or write a letter, bake cookies or a cake and lick the spoon or plant a seed, ponder the difference between want and need?! Dust if you must, but there's not much time . . . . with beer to drink, rivers to swim and mountains to climb, music to hear and books to read, friends to cherish and life to lead. Dust if you must, but the world's out there with the sun in your eyes, the wind in your hair, a flutter of snow, a shower of rain. This day will not come around, again. Dust if you must, but bear in mind, old age will come and it's not kind. . . And when you go - and go you must - you, yourself will make more dust! It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.