Monday, February 26, 2007

Do not disturb - I'm having a crisis

Today was a day of crises - none of them mine at least - but it still takes it’s toll. Employees dealing with family issues, benefits, workplace injuries, safety committee meeting, attempting to get some of my course done while covering for Yarmouth and Digby - the last call of the day was an employee not known to me with an accent of some sort who was leaving for the Amazon - Guyana (yes in South America) and casually wondering about antimalarials. Upon checking the CDC guidelines that would be only one of the health concerns with travel to that area. When I asked about date of departure the response was “this Friday” Now some of the pre-travel planning takes weeks so this was not a good situation., one of those ‘I’ll get back to you in the morning’ responses. You know like Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind "I'll think about that tomorrow" kind of approach. All of this interspersed with a Dr. appointment for myself where the Doc confirmed my self diagnosis and so a referral to have a spot on my face checked.. Definitely don’t want anything to interfere with my retirement.

An interesting turn was connecting with an acquaintance who was very keen on a cruise, she didn‘t dismiss it out of hand at all. Now talking about karma she mentioned that she had decided to take a cruise this year, had spoken with a cruise expert travel agent recently who recommended travel was cheaper the end of March or first of April and was most interested in my research (both for Cayman employment and cruise ship speaking) so this was a bright spot in my day. I just have to figure out how to explain my success at attracting a travel partner to the life partner. No, he’s too busy, preoccupied with the business, talking about a trip to Gloucester (yes Massachusetts) to view an automatic baiter while putting the boat into a shop (or not )and not really interested in spending more time on the water but… does he want to be replaced? Hmm.. I wonder?

The phone rang off the wall, the kids were in and out and I had a two hour course teleconference so this was NOT the evening to discuss travel plans. Combined with the fact that mister's beard smelled like diesel fuel (small problem with siphoning he explained) and it took two washes to even raise a lather in the work clothes leads me to believe that he may have been working in the engine room. This does not place him in the best of moods to discuss important topics, so a slight delay. Creation of crises is not needed, there are enough naturally occuring ones in this household!