Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Has it only been two days?

Well, hello there. It certainly feels longer than that as there has been a lot happening since I last blogged. To begin, yesterday morning I approached the "I'm thinking of taking that cruise without you" subject with the life partner who when questioned stated "well, I wouldn't mind going" but I explained that is not even close to getting up every morning and scheming as to how to make it happen (he agreed) so I explained the "I have a replacement for your spot" situation and he didn't bat an eye. Then he lays on the clincher "well it's no different than when you went to Boston" (to explain - this was a tropical medicine course in 2004, bought a seat sale, found a hole in the wall B&B, split the expenses with another OHN, rode the subway and had my cousin take us to and from the airport - not exactly high class travel) so I say "not even close". Mister says "no need to rationalize it" so.... I decide to myself 'if you think you've seen first class travel... you will' sure excised any guilt I might have suffered. So, I left a message for the travel partner saying "let's go" and we were off and running.

This is today's horoscope and you'll see below how I decided to use my artistic creativity - travel planning:

You may find it increasingly difficult to work with other people these days. In fact, it may feel as if those same folks who are usually quite supportive are now standing in your way. However, you could be overly sensitive, imagining the resistance to be more serious than it truly is. Instead of shadowboxing with non-existent enemies, focus on your own self-expression and artistic creativity.

Today my cruise mate and I finally connected and chatted about details - my only stipulation is a stop at the Cayman Islands on a weekday to check out the job offer, do you care about the room? nope, can we change the date as it'll be cheaper a week or so later? yep whatever (quick call to team member to enact Plan B for vacation coverage if needed). So after a phone call to the cruise expert travel agent to clear up some questions (no a side trip to a beach in Haiti does not seem like a bonus to someone who knows about infectious diseases) and yes I agree it is more fun to overnight in Miami than Toronto airport hotels for sure! This afternoon brought a proposal for - April 7th to Halifax via LaGuardia to Miami then departing on April 8th - a 7 day western Carribean itinerary (Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Cayman) on the Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas with a balcony stateroom.

A flurry of activity after that. An email to the Manager of the Cayman Island retirement home with a quick reply "so lovely to hear from you again, I can arrange for our current Nursing Supervisor to show you around etc" A internet check of Miami hotels - can do the stopover for $70 Cdn each night. Things are falling into place - meant to be for sure. And certainly provides immunity from all the angst at the paid employment these past two days!