Saturday, February 24, 2007

Housework done properly can kill you

A friend mentioned she’d reviewed my blog and enjoyed it but there wasn’t anything she didn’t know - a good thing I’d say as I count her as up to date friend. Lately I’ve been thinking that extra years bring with them rewards. Isn’t it amazing that what drove you bonkers at age 30 (spouse not being around) does not even mildly disturb at age 50 ? (good - need some time to myself) 30 yr. old (doesn’t want to go out in the evening) 50 yr. old (good opportunity for a lesbian date) with apologies to those who choose same sex relationships - in many ways much simpler (communication / sharing clothes) while more complicated (female fighting - a friend’s son commented that female room mates who have a blow up are remembering it months or years later while guys yell, then go out and have a beer, that’s the end of it) However, some situations such as not pitching in with domestic tasks or picking and choosing the ‘fun stuff’ still have tick-off value after 30 yrs of cohabiting.

Friends and coworkers have stated they are envious that I have a cleaning lady but it all comes down to choices - being married or divorced basically. I decided many years ago that if I am going to work - and it only makes good financial sense that I do as I have a career which compensates me adequately - that since no one else residing in the house is going to step up to the plate for the extras, we will engage a cleaner - even if it means eating Kraft Dinner four nights per week. I am able (somewhat and with occasional offspring contributions) to keep up with the day to day living chores - laundry, meals, baking, dishes, general pickup, groceries etc. but I WILL NOT spend my days off vacuuming, scrubbing the floors, washing surfaces, cleaning bathrooms - no one else who lives here does, why should I? It takes me hours longer than any cleaner I’ve ever had, I don’t do it as well, it makes me really cranky, especially since someone usually spills something on a newly scrubbed surface. I get absolutely no satisfaction out of saying “I did it myself” as it’s about the spiritual experience of returning to an immaculate, fresh smelling house (albeit short lived) not about self-torture. And for those folks who say “I couldn’t have anyone else in my house, going through my stuff, or not doing it myself” I simply cannot even respond (might have to serve jail time) to that way of masochistic thinking. So when the life partner mentioned that with the move to the new house we might not need a cleaning lady well… let’s just say - he’s recovering well and the cleaning lady was here yesterday - I‘m still in my ‘zone‘.

Anyway, off to walk the dog before I collect my scrap booking supplies as there’s a workshop this afternoon. Have done three loads of laundry, made brown bread and will pick up groceries after the workshop at Sobey’s so there not one bit of guilt in indulging myself. I feel a testosterone rush actually as I type the words.