Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What's the score?

Plus
My baby bought supper, treats & drove me home from work
I spoke to my niece as she was leaving the IWK with her new baby
I picked up a new razor phone (which I don’t deserve) the supper buyer tells me
It was a beautiful p.m. for a walk, temperature milder, beautiful sunset

Minus
The internet was down at work all afternoon so I couldn’t work on course material
Plow took the mailbox out, I crawled into a deep snowy ditch to fetch soggy mail
I held supper for the man until 8:30

Today was one of those days where (without pressing financial responsibilities like the need to eat) I would have said “take this job and shove it” by about 10 a.m. but you don’t want to hear that whining. I was thinking as I was walking the dog that I’d like to be daughter # 3 who’s just considering starting out in nursing , talking about Australia after she gets a year’s work experience under her belt in Canada. I try not to scare her with the ‘nurses eat their young’ stories if I can help it.

A positive happening this p.m. was the man wishing his brother-in-law a good trip as they are heading out this weekend for two weeks in the sun and saying “she’s got 5 weeks more on that course she’s doing and then we’ll have to see what happens after she gets another piece of that paper to hang on the wall. What’s she studying? Oh you know she’s supposed to be learning to prevent those super bugs, TB, SARS, stuff like that, well it’s really about preventing them but that hasn’t happened yet”. You know if I ever think he’s not noticing that sure blew that theory - he had it down pat. The most exciting part was the ‘still in the running for vacation’ statement tossed off oh so casually. I interjected that “I’m going by myself after the day I had today” just so there’d be no misunderstanding the seriousness of my intent. Got to keep them focused. I live in hope.