Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Hot or Cold?

Let me see, where would I rather be in mid-February? In Nova Scotia freezing my buns off and driving over treacherous roads to get to a challenging day job or … somewhere warm? Oh that’s a tough one. I always say to myself “next year this time I’m going to be doing that 9 week intensive tropical medicine course in Peru” But… it’s too early (on a number of different levels) to say next year just yet. I need to be doing the course just as I’m ready to start out on overseas work and that’s a few years away. Why would a humanitarian organization think I’m a good catch? Well… I’ve got 30 + years of nursing experience covering everything from Emergency Room, Med-Surg, Peds, OBS, administration, Home Care, independent practice, occupational health, long term care, and now infection control. I’ve worked in Labrador and just about everywhere there’s nursing in Shelburne County, then southwestern and finally all of NS when doing a home office job so… am overqualified for lots :) I’m not afraid of change, in fact I get kind of restless if I’ve been doing the same job for a couple of years, the next opportunity always (well most of the time) looks really good. When I’m thinking of retirement, I’m not describing some blue haired lady having tea parties, I’m planning on taking up a new lifestyle. I kind of like a challenge so doing a really tough mission wouldn't be too scary. And I don't want to look back when I'm in a rocking chair, telling my future grandchildren what I did with my life that I missed opportunities. So, bring it on.