Thursday, February 15, 2007

The score - rats one, humans zero

Well now, today was one of those interesting days in the rat race where it felt like the rats were winning. Let's see... on the negative side my (second new in two weeks) cell phone is still messed up where I have a voice mail message but can't retrieve it because everytime I shut it off, it resets itself. I was so disgusted I left both the new and old cell at the phone shop and said "you have until tomorrow to get one of these working" I had a last minute phone conversation with one of my workteam as she headed out to airport to catch a flight to Cuba this p.m. where I tried (unsuccessfully) to control my envy. Work was an absolute political nightmare, everyone wanted a piece of me (you'd think there was enough to go around eh?) and I struggled to listen to some of the online ICP course material so I could desperately finish. Didn't even have time to visit Mom at the Manor to check on her broken thumb (she told the Dr. in ER on Monday that she'd done it three days ago and they'd been so short staffed she just kept on working :). The roads were terrible today with ice and slush and a loud thumping noise developed under the car on the way home. When I pulled into the garage in Clyde River to see if it was a ice lump (nope) a kind stranger at the gas pump called out that there was a flap of black plastic hanging down behind the bumper that needed to be fastened back up. So I will have to clumpety clump my way into work in the morning, convince someone at Huskilsons to drive me to work then fix the car and catch a ride back in the afternoon. I have done six loads of laundry and taken a shovel to the house because tomorrow is the day I have the spiritual experience when I come home after the cleaning lady has been here. Tim is making noises about enlarging one of the boats (again) which will essentially mean he'll be working 18 hr days from as soon as he can get started until lobstering begins in April. I feel the cruise experience slip sliding away. Will have to solicit a new travel partner for the short term it seems.

On the plus side of the equation however... I did convince daughter # 3 to pick up some groceries for me and run a couple of errands. Guess that doesn't really balance out no matter how you measure it.

But anyway, tomorrow is Friday - always a good day of the week as it's the last work outside the home one. We are one day closer to spring. And I'm really lucky to have all this excitement in my life to complain about. Imagine being lonely, really sick or bored or.... imagine heading out to the airport for a sunny destination!